We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Two restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
Court Summary - at a glance
- Develop and implement an adequate traffic management plan.
- Ensure the forklift was adequately maintained and in a safe working condition.
- Ensure a load lifted and/or moved by a forklift was secure and attached to the forklift, for example by using a forklift clamp.
- Develop and document an adequate system of work for lifting and moving loads while operating forklifts.
- Ensure it trained forklift operators in the safe system of work.
- Ensure it monitored and enforced compliance with the safe system of work.
- Ensure it reviewed the on-going effectiveness of the safe system of work.
On the day of the incident the dismantling area was cluttered with forklifts and pedestrian workers. A forklift operator was transporting a vehicle when the vehicle slipped off the forklift and fell onto a pedestrian worker pinning him to the floor. He suffered a fractured jaw, rotator cuff tear, dislocation of his left shoulder, dislocation to his right collar bone and concussion.