Alert: Notifications and correspondence during COVID-19 restrictions
We are operating at reduced capacity due to the COVID 19 alert level four requirements. Find out more about how to correspond and notify us during this time.
WorkSafe has a variety of key operational activities and priorities within the geothermal sector.
Key operational activities
Driving improvements in industry major hazard safety performance through proactive regulatory interventions such as:
- Risk-based inspection of operations to determine the adequacy of management systems
- Investigating incidents and accidents
- Responding to and management of notifiable events.
- Enforcement of statutory duties and requirements
- Working with relevant stakeholders to identify, define, document and promote good practice in the assessment and management of major hazards in the geothermal sector.
- Provide guidance in the reporting requirements of the Geothermal Regulations 1961 Section 35A.
- Produced guidelines for improved reporting of accidents, and dangerous occurrences and notifications.
- Working with the geothermal industry to develop improved hazard identification and risk assessment processes.
- Encouraging industry on the development of sector specific guidance on technologies with potential off-site risks such as low-enthalpy ‘Binary’ units.
- Coordinate and conduct joint inspections with WorkSafe Major Hazard Facilities (MHF) team on geothermal binary systems.
- Preparation for review of safety cases due to be submitted under the MHF legislation 2018.