Stuart Timber Company Limited
Court Summary - at a glance
- Ensure a nip point of a conveyor is identified as a hazard;
- Ensure a fixed guard is installed to isolate the nip point.
- Ensure effective policies and procedures are in place for the operation and maintenance of a conveyor;
- Ensure an effective system is in place for identifying hazards to employees;
- Ensure training requirements are identified for employees working with machinery.
The victim was employed as a timber worker. On the day of the incident he was tasked with debarking logs and clearing the area around the debarker.
When the victim reached under the moving conveyor belt to remove built up bark, his hand became caught in an unguarded nip point.
The victim suffered a 15cm laceration under his left arm pit.