We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Two restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
Court Summary - at a glance
Where there exists a reasonably predictable hazard of client-initiated violence:
- Ensure there was no physically unrestricted access by clients to the staff working area; This meant that as a minimum, a secured desk was between a client and staff member to effect delay in the event of an attack and for zones to be developed which gave a safe and rapid means of escape for the staff member;
- Ensure that employees and contractors are adequately trained to respond to an emergency response incident;
- Adopt and effectively embed a "zero tolerance policy" by:
- publishing a "zero tolerance policy";
- embedding a "zero tolerance policy" in systems, standards and procedures and, in tum, in its staff; and
- strategising to create a positive security culture and implementing those strategies;
- Implement a client risk profiling process;
- Implement a client management plan tailored to the risk assessment of that client; and
- Implement effective incident investigation and incident data analysis, including by:
- analysing the incident basis of security incidents on an annual basis and transferring the learnings to the defendant;
- setting key performance indicators with respect to security incidents and reviewing these monthly/quarterly;
- engaging periodically with selected frontline staff from selected locations to evaluate the effectiveness of security/related systems;
- instituting a comprehensive investigation process and analysis model applied to critical security/related incidents;
- developing a security management plan or equivalent document at the highest level of the defendant with clearly stated context, purpose, defined accountabilities, plan owner, internal review and external audit timeframes etc; and
- completing a security audit using established risk management models and standards to aid in the establishment of the security management plan.