Knight Group NZ Limited
Court Summary - at a glance
- To provide appropriate perimeter fall protection on the platforms and on the order pickers;
- To have an effective fall arrest system to prevent staff falling while working near the edge of the platforms and on order pickers;
- To ensure appropriate health and safety policies were in place;
- To adequately consult with Devon Staffing Solutions Ltd to:
- Identify risks, agree how to work at height safety and monitor this effectively; and
- Ensure Devon employed adequately qualified staff.
On the day of the incident the victim, an employee of Devon Staffing Solutions Ltd, was manually loading stock onto elevated platforms in the warehouse. The victim used an order picker to raise a pallet, which was loaded with stock, to a platform four metres above ground. The victim was moving a box from the order picker to the platform when the platform broke and the victim fell to the concrete floor below.
The victim was knocked unconscious, suffered a laceration to his scalp, concussion and a fractured right pubic ramus.