Kernohan Engineering Limited
Court Summary - at a glance
- Ensure a Job Safety Analysis (JSA) is completed for the task.
- Prepare lift plans identifying equipment, safe methodology, and the correct positioning of people involved in the task.
- In this case, ensure that the bearing housing block is properly stabilised and supported so that it cannot topple.
- Ensuring that supporting and stabilising equipment is fit for purpose and operated by competent and experienced people.
- Ensuring that all people involved in the task are properly instructed.
During the maintenance period, it was discovered that all 4 bearing housing blocks were incorrectly fitted and needed to be rectified before further progress could occur. No particular planned work method was available to manipulate the blocks. There was a verbal meeting between three Kernohan employees.
An employee suffered a blow to his chest and his right arm as one of the housing blocks fell forward during a rotation. Another employee, whilst trying to stop the block falling, put his right hand on its top corner becoming trapped between the block and the heel of the forklift fork. He sustained crush injuries and multiple fractures to his right hand.