We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Two restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
Court Summary - at a glance
- Establish ‘no-go zones’ for quad bikes and clearly communicate those areas to its employees.
- Ensure that any accessories or modifications to the quad bike such as sprayers are identified as hazards and properly communicated to its employees.
- Ensure that all employees are trained in the use of the quad bike assigned to them or are closely supervised until they are fully assessed as competent, including in respect of any accessories or modifications to the quad bike; and
- Ensure that the sprayer tanks are removed from the quad bikes when they are not in use; and
- Have in place a drug and alcohol policy.
The Defendant employed the victim as a farm hand. The victim was working on the farm when he fell off a quad bike while mustering cattle and was crushed by the quad bike. The accident resulted in fatal injuries.