We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Two restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
We have accepted an enforceable undertaking from Dominion Salt Limited after an incident on 16 November 2016.
Power was unsafely restored to a private electricity network.
Health and Safety at Work Act 2015, 36(1)(a), 48(1) and (2)(c) & 34(1) and (2)(b)
The alleged contravention does not amount to an offence against section 47 (reckless conduct) which would preclude it from being accepted.
Summary of Enforceable Undertaking
- A number of targeted initiatives to upskill staff will be undertaken.
- Funding will be provided to the Electricity Engineers Association for a gap analysis report on the incident.
This enforceable undertaking has a total expenditure of at least $40,000.
Reasons for accepting the undertaking
The enforceable undertaking meets the requirements of WorkSafe’s Enforceable Undertakings Operational Policy (June 2019); noting:
- The nature of the proposals in the application and the benefits that would be realised to the health and safety system from them: The activities in the enforceable undertaking will provide long-term sustainable health and safety improvements in the workplace; industry; and community.
- The nature of the alleged contravention and how serious it was.
- Information received from any interested party in relation to the contravention.
- Mitigation and remedial action, already taken, or planned, regarding both the contravention and any person affected by the contravention (including victims).
- The person’s past performance and history of compliance with health and safety legislation.
- Any likely outcome if the matter were dealt with by legal proceedings.
- A charge was filed in relation to this incident on the basis that there was both evidential sufficiency, and a public interest in initiating prosecution. A successful prosecution outcome may have resulted.
- The undertaking accounts for the benefits that accrue to MLL by a prosecution not proceeding.
- Any other matter which WorkSafe thinks is relevant.
- The undertaking delivers benefits beyond compliance.
- The undertaking supports WorkSafe’s strategic objectives.
- The undertaking contains acceptable terms.
09 June 2020