Pan Pac Forest Products Ltd exemption from provisions of Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017
WorkSafe has exempted Pan Pac Forest Products Ltd from compliance with regulation 12.9 of the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017 and reduced the separation distance of class 5.1.1 and class 5.1.2 oxidising liquids from incompatible substances.
The exemption has been granted by WorkSafe in accordance with section 220 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015.
The exemption is made subject to the following conditions:
- Pan Pac Forest Products Ltd must:
- Ensure the common bund wall between the hydrogen peroxide tank and the sulphuric acid tank meets the crest locus requirements for both these tanks.
- Ensure the common bund wall between the hydrogen peroxide tank and the DTPA tank meets the crest locus requirements for both tanks.
- Ensure filling procedures for hydrogen peroxide:
- shut off pumping at the high level alarm; and
- prevent the likelihood of hydrogen peroxide and sulphuric acid load-in through the wrong load-in point.
- Pan Pac Forest Products Ltd must implement:
- monthly inspection and maintenance of the common bund wall
- monthly inspection and maintenance of the sulphuric acid and DTPA fill pipework
- continuous monitoring of the temperature of the peroxide tank and must provide fresh water dilution of the liquid as soon as its temperature reaches 45oC.
- Pan Pac Forest Products Ltd must provide a copy of this decision to any compliance certifier engaged to issue a location compliance certificate for the hydrogen peroxide installation or a stationary container system compliance certificate for the hydrogen peroxide, sulphuric acid or DTPA tanks.
- The exemption is revoked if:
- there is a change to the layout of the tank installation as submitted with the application; or
- there is a change in substances held in the tanks; or
- any of the conditions are not complied with.
The exemption takes effect on 8 October 2018 and expires on 8 October 2023 unless it is sooner replaced or revoked.